Yahoo Movies has provided a list of 10 movies that are supposedly the ones ‘that make grown men cry.’ Naturally, being a dude and being one not often brought to tears (especially because of something fictitious) I was curious to know which movies they had in mind. I was quite surprised to see what they said. Here’s what they had to said along with what I have to say:
- Field of Dreams–a great movie, and admittedly the end is quite touching, but not really a tear-jerker
- Shawshank Redemption–an amazingly well-written movie, but still no tears
- Backdraft–even though I’ve never seen this one all the way through, I could understand why it would be on the list
- The Wrestler–never heard of it, and it doesn’t really sound all that interesting
- Transformers: The Movie–seriously? this one is on the list?
- Rocky–maybe Rocky 3, where ‘Mickey’ dies and there is a grown man crying; but the first Rocky: no tears here
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day–unless I have some sort of demented ‘daddy-complex’, then maybe; otherwise, no tears for me in this movie
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest–never seen it, but I’ve always wanted to
- Billy Elliot–I think I cried when I realised that I couldn’t get my money back after watching this
- Up–never heard of it
Now, by way of self disclosure and to show that I don’t have a heart made of lead, there have been a small handful of movies that have caused me to shed tears–and I’m speaking more about quasi-recent flicks and not ones from when I was a little tot. The three that immediately come to mind are: Awakenings, Patch Adams (strangely enough), and October Sky.
Update: I forgot about one other movie that made me cry: My Life. That was tough to watch.